Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Still a Few Things to Be Thankful For

Yes, I know, sometimes it's better to curse the darkness than light a stinking candle.  But this evening before Thanksgiving, I want to take a few minutes to list some things that I am thankful for.

I am thankful that Jan Brewer is not the governor of South Carolina.  Even Nikki Haley looks good next to her.

I am thankful that my son got through airport security and he's on his way home.  I don't know how much security he had to go through, but I will give him an extra long hug when I see him, because I can't be there to yell at people for him and try to protect him anymore.

I am thankful that the democrats still hold the Senate, although heaven help us, it's Harry Reid.

I am thankful for every day that John Boehner is at the tanning salon instead of the floor of the House.

I am thankful that George W. Bush is signing books instead of legislation.

I am thankful to all the people who stood up to protest full body scanners by giving over their bodies for a grope.  We Americans need to fight more and whine less.  We (including me) need to be willing to stand up for others, and stand up for our liberties, even though it may be inconvenient, and sometimes even painful.  I don't know if I have the courage to fight for my rights, but I need to try, because they are after all, my children and grandchildren's rights that I will be protecting as well.

I am thankful for President Barack Obama, rather than President John McCain.  And for Vice President Joe Biden rather than Vice President Sarah Palin.  And it gives me the creeps to even type the words.

I am thankful that, in the year 2010, I still have the freedom as an American to refrain from reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, which, after all, a great many people who do not even feel strongly enough about their country to get out and vote, will unhesitatingly recite the Pledge.  It is, after all, just words, and meaningless without thought and action.

I am thankful that I have health insurance, crappy as it is, and I am ever hopeful that the Tea Party will someday wake up and realize that they are not fighting for liberty, but fighting for wealthy corporate interests.  I hope that someday we all will think more about what other people don't have than what we are afraid we might lose.

I am thankful I no longer have children in the public schools.  And isn't that a sad thing???

I am thankful for citizens like Tom Clements and Rob Groce, who stood up against great odds to try to pull South Carolina out of the mess we are in.

I am thankful that Mark Sandford will soon have the time to hike anyone's Appalacian Trail for which he feels the desire.  I wish he would take Nikki hiking with him.

I am very thankful that, for a few days, I will have my family with me.  Lots of laughs at the "Macy's Day Parade", some Monty Python's Not the Messiah -- (He's a Very Naughty Boy), Christmas cookies because you have your holiday when you have your people with you, and of course, a huge turkey, etc.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment