Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wasting Breath

I just opened yet another email today asking me to contact my representative.  This time, yet another excellent group wants me to plead with Tim Scott to vote no to taking funds away from poor women and children.


Again?


How often do you expect me to call or email Representative Scott's office only to get an email back telling me once again why it is so critical to our nation's well-being that he keep those poor women and children from sucking the country dry?  I understand that these poor folk are not job creators, unless you think that spending every penny of government assistance on goods and services which in turn will require more goods and services to be created....  But obviously, Tim Scott disagrees.  He believes that the only way to create jobs is to free up big industries to pollute, pay lower wages, and charge whatever they want for needed goods.


This, you see, is the problem.  There is no reasoning with Mr. Scott.  He has never been in the position of having to decide whether to take a child to the doctor or buy groceries.  He is, however, able to do basic math, and understands that giving $1 to a mother to buy a loaf of bread (store brand, on sale), is a dollar out of one of his constituent's pockets.  Of course, not my pocket, because I, too, am not a job creator.  I, on the other hand, would waste any dollar offered me by spending it on bread and medical care.  And unfortunately, for Mr. Scott, that is higher math.



No comments:

Post a Comment