Monday, January 7, 2013

Praying for Good Aim

As I sit on my porch, I hear the gunshots, every second or so, and I imagine that must be a semi-automatic.  If it's a hunter, he must be aiming for hens in a coop, because I can't imagine an animal standing still for a couple of hours waiting for one of those hundreds of shots to hit home.  I don't think there are that many hunters out here in this rural area anymore.  My guess is it's just folk who took advantage of the many gun sales over the holidays.  They like their target practice.

According to Bill Moyers, since twenty children were killed in Newtown, Connecticut, the arms business has been doing just fine thank you.  He also points out that the NRA has been recording its profits in contributions.  Because when children die, where better to put your hard-earned dollars than into the gun lobby.  I imagine those folks in the arms business have been partying like it's New Years Day every day, and spreading their cheer to the people in the NRA who have been opening up whole new markets for them.  After all, if you're going to arm every teacher, you're talking real money.

Now here on Wadmalaw, I am just glad I no longer have children living with me.  I'm not sure I would be comfortable having them playing out in the yard, or walking the path around the pond, with our neighborhood target shooters.

I also figure that, tempting as it is, I won't be putting a pro-gun control bumper sticker on my car.  That would by a bit like setting antlers on my head and going for a walk in the woods.  So I'm feeling a little less free to speak these days.  Maybe it's because I'm only armed with words, while my neighbors have the deadly weapons.

No comments:

Post a Comment